Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Creating a Myth v. Studying a Myth

  
 I have always really enjoyed mythology I found creating a myth to be different from studying a myth. Creating this myth is probably the most creative assignment that I have done this semester. Creating my eclipse myth made me think about what kind of elements are in a myth and what makes a myth successful. When I was studying the Bhagavad Gita myth, I was not as engaged as I was when I was creating my eclipse myth. I like that we had a lot of creative freedom when creating our myths because I think it made it a more enjoyable assignment. I was interested in  studying the Bhagavad Gita myth because it was a myth that I had never heard of before. I think that knowing how to create a myth made me more aware of what I needed to pay attention to when studying the Bhagavad Gita. I learned a great deal about the importance of technology in the myth presentation. Most of my life I have been taught by teachers who used very bland PowerPoints and who never really incorporated any media to the lesson. In my future as a teacher I am excited to create lessons using a more fluid alternative to PowerPoint like Prezi and incorporate media that my students will find more interesting. I found my peers’ presentations really engaging and I was genuinely interested in what they were presenting. Hopefully incorporating media will help my future students to be interested in the lesson. Also I think that the create your own myth assignment is very interesting and will help students understand the myths they study. 


3 comments:

  1. Esther,
    I love everything you just said, I agree with you one hundred percent. I too felt like there was so much freedom for creativity for our personal myths that it made this assignment so enjoyable and fun to do in comparison to other assignment we as students have to struggle through. With prezi I also thought it was an amazing source to do presentations on, I had never encountered it before this class and I think it will make things fun, creative, and especially easy for my future students to use specifically because the students can work together without actually being together, its as simple as joining them all into the same presentation and having them incorporate and work together even if they don't have time to meet outside of class. And teachers can monitor them too by being the leader of the presentation and then having them join to it. I too will be using myths with my students like the personal ones to get them more involved and wanting to learn the material.
    Thanks,
    Carissa Ceglia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther,
    Your right! This is also the most creative assignment I have ever done as well. It was such a fun way to be creative and outrageous. I loved this assignment. As you stated it is such a huge difference in reading something versus creating it. Next time I will also know what to pay attention to when teaching on how to create a myth. It certainly gives you a different perspective. I believe any teens would love to do an assignment such as this because of the freedom to write exactly what they want plus the joy of putting it on the world wide web for others to read.
    Nice introspection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esty! The picture you used is awesome! Everything you said was spot on. This project was so much fun and probably the most creative thing I've been able to do this semester. I can't wait to see yours!I also learned a lot about myths from our presentation and thought the Behaved Gita was beautiful and fascinating. I definitely think that incorporating media will help maintain the interest of your future students, but I'm sure your excitement and passion will do that as well. Great post! Love your thoughts!

    Sincerely,
    Abby Mazenod

    ReplyDelete

Creating a Myth v. Studying a Myth

     I have always really enjoyed mythology I found creating a myth to be different from studying a myth. Creating this myth is probabl...