Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Writing About Poetry V. Writing Poetry

I would consider writing about poetry to be analytical and somewhat sterile. I don’t really enjoy being the one analyzing a poem and dissecting it thoroughly because sometimes when you dissect it and pick apart its rhetoric and figurative language it tends to lose its magic. I think it’s easier to write about poetry than to write poetry. Writing about poetry is just recognizing the form, structure, and figurative language used and then analyzing it. Whereas writing poetry is more of a balance between making sure the structure, form, and figurative language are all there and have a universal theme that will translate to your audience. Essentially, I think that creating is more difficult than criticizing. I enjoy writing more than anything else but sometimes I find it challenging to write poetry because I compare my writing to those of established writers and poets and then the task becomes quite daunting. I think its easy to get caught up in the technicality of poetic form and then overthink every detail until you don’t know what to do anymore. However, I enjoyed the process of writing these poems because the quick write and the “wrecking the first person” helped create some rules and structure to the process but they weren’t rules that made feel overwhelmed. Both exercises were useful techniques in getting some thoughts out, it was stimulating and it gave me something specific to write about while still having creative freedom. In the future as a teacher I would like to implement something similar to the quick write and “wrecking the first person” to help my students get an idea of what to do but also allow them enough freedom to create something that still feels organic. As a future teacher, I hope to create a safe environment for my students so that they can be comfortable enough to share their poems also.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Esty,

    I really enjoyed your poem you read in class about your friend. It was moving, and brave of you to read something so personal to the class.
    I agree with you that the structure helped to form the poem, yet give us as writers the ability to be creative. I also intend to use this exercise in my future high school class. In fact I am going to be teaching a fifth grade class a creative writing lesson in the next couple of weeks, and I just may use this lesson, it was so good. :)
    Keep up the beautiful writing!

    Sincerely,

    Gynifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Esther.

    I shared similar struggles when it came to writing my poem. I spent so much time thinking of master poets and how intricate their poems were. How their poems were so precisely crafted and how the expertly followed the poetic structures to the dot. All it did was impede my own progress because I was too intimidated by the work of others. What I realized was that I was trying too hard to be like them instead of creating my own work. When I began to ignore their work and created my own words and structures, the rest of the poem followed. I think that's a situation many students face nowadays, we get so intimidated by the work of others that we ignore our own potential. It's so easy to analyze things because we have such a large frame of reference. When it comes to our own voice and style, though, many have not spent enough time to develop it as much as they should have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's safe to say that a common thread between many of us will be worrying over the our personal qualifications, and abilities when it comes to writing poetry. I also have a hard time with it. But that's what I liked about the exercises that we did in class, it felt like I had a direction and material; the words on the page already laid out during the quick write and creating the three columns in the "wrecking the first person". I think I'll be using such exercises when I teach as well.

    ReplyDelete

Creating a Myth v. Studying a Myth

     I have always really enjoyed mythology I found creating a myth to be different from studying a myth. Creating this myth is probabl...